Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Health Care: Right or Privelage?

Health care in my eyes is a right in which every person is entitled to. I say this because I believe everyone in the world deserves the right to be able to seek help when it is needed. For me and most of us in the class who probably do have health insurance either through our parents, through are employers, or even our spouses do not know first hand what it's like to become sick, or wounded, and in which are trying to seek aid with out insurance. Even the few in the class that may not have health insurance probably would be able to pay out of pocket for health services. However, for the millions in the world, including those living in the United States, and the few students in our class who may not health insurance at all do not get to see a physician for check ups for preventative care, or get treatment for when they become ill because for the pure fact that they can not afford it. This is alarming to me because I think of the last time I became ill,and can not fathom what it would be like to be sick without no means of medicine or treatment. I don't tend to get sick often but when I do, it stops me in my tracks, and I feel as though as I can not function, and I am not my lively self. This does not inlcude the work, or class that is missed due to illness, in which many of us can not afford to miss. Now, think of the last time you became ill, can you imagine what it would be like to have no access or coverage to a physician, or any way of paying for medications? This too, does not include other health problems people suffer from on a daily basis, such as diabetes, asthma, HIV/AIDS, etc. These health issues require health insurance because most if not all of us would not be able to pay full price out of our own pocket if we had to deal with these health problems. No one asks to become ill, and no one deserves to not be able to access or seek a physician for help when they do. People in povrished and low income countries do not choose to live poor, but instead learn to stay alive and function with what they have. Why should people suffer the consequences of which they have no choice over? They shouldn't, and with this in mind we need to find a happy medium for everyone to be able to access health care with out limitations and high expenses, but instead make it feasible for everyone including poor and low income families both in the United States and in the rest of the world.

-Brittany LeBron

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you in the fact that I also believe that health care should be a right and not a privilege. It's not like we chose when we are going to get sick, so it should be a priority for the government to keep the people healthy. Can you imagine not having any money to see a doctor so you can get better? That's so sad... and unfortunately my parents are in that situation. :(

    Carla Keeley

    ReplyDelete