-Brittany LeBron
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Blog #5 My thoughts on Having Children
I absolutely love children but have found myself going back and forth on the idea of wanting to have children or not. I am only 22 and realize that I am young and have plenty of time to decide if I want children or not but I have never felt the desire to have children. I am very career oriented and have high expectations for myself whether or not they are realistic or not. I realize that women can fulfill both a career and raising a family but I guarantee it's not easy. I have always felt that if I do have children that I would want to stop working and stay at home and raise my children until they reach the age to go to school, but that's easier said than done. Women really have to weigh their options and find which is more important to them and their partner as well as if you and your partner can financially live off one pay check. Being in a healthy, loving, and committed relationship definitely helps raising a child or children. I am very fortunate that I am in a very loving and healthy relationship with a man that is very supportive, easy to talk to, and who of course feels the same about children as I do. My boyfriend and I have been together for over two years and have discussed having children together and have both decided that we would love to start a family in a few years but that were also okay with deciding to not to have children. For right now we have decided that we will just remain childless for the next few years and spend this time growing and learning more about one another. There is a lot to think about when deciding to have children and believe me I have thought about it all. If I do decide to have children I will not be looking forward to being pregnant for nine months, and watching my body going through so many changes in such a short amount of time, as well as the birthing process which just scares me to tears. But I will love holding my baby, and trying to be the best mother that I can be for my child/children. I have always found it interesting how much easier it is to tell someone about their experience of giving birth, but not every woman has the same birthing experience. Some women have complications with their pregnancies, and some women have a very easy pregnancy. I may too have my own story and experience to share possibly one day but for now listening to other women's stories will have to do and hopefully not scare me out of having a child.
-Brittany LeBron
-Brittany LeBron
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI agree that waiting it always the best option. I think couples who conceive quickly married or not end up having a very difficult time. We ourselves still need time to grow and mature and need to time enjoy life and focus on ourselves. Like most women I know, you and I are on the same page. Waiting to have children until we are ready is the right way to go. And if you decide to not have children, at least you waited and thought about so that you wont have any regrets. Good luck with your relationship and future endeavors towards having a loving family!
Sara Abbasi
Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI can tell you from my own experience that it’s better if you wait few years rather than rushing in. Being a mother has definitely changed my life. I am more responsible in everything that I do. But just having a baby is not an end in itself. It’s another beginning, where you and your partner try and create a family that is healthy and socially responsible. I worked full time and went to school during my pregnancy, and was fortunate to have an understanding spouse. Having the right attitude towards yourself and your partner does smooth out things a lot. I would like to say that age along with your life experiences does contribute to a person’s maturity. I am in no way promoting “experiments” but just by meeting people and understanding about their experiences does help. I wish and hope that you and your partner will make a good decision.
Subuk Usmani