As I continue to grow and learn more about myself and the habits that tend to make up who I am I realize that their is always room for me to improve, prevent, and implement healthier behaviors. I took the self assessment practice in chapter 3 and noticed that I could be doing more to improve my over all health. My preventative practices are over all good, however, I do need to be better at receiving preventative care. I remember as a child my parents made sure I got all of my routine check ups, shots, etc. however, now is not so much the case. I need to get back into the routine of getting my yearly physicals, going to the gynecologist, etc. I have health insurance so their is no excuse for this behavior besides the fear I face with going to the doctor. After I turned eighteen I found myself avoiding going to the doctor. I know prevention is key, but I am so terrified of going into my doctors office and being told I am diagnosed with cancer, or something equally as serious. In my mind if I avoid it then it can not happen to me,which I know is ridiculous, but as I get older and frequent the doctors office less, I know this is the worst thing I could be doing to myself and to my family. I tend to only go to the doctor's when I have to, but now I want to change this behavior, and feel healthier knowing that I am doing absolutely everything I can to prevent disease.
Emphasising implementing better health prevention practices, I could also be exercising more regularly which is what I aim to work on this semester, as well as going to be bed an hour or two earlier, and managing my stress better. These are three target areas that I need to be working on in order to improve my health. I enjoy exercising but I have the hardest time fitting it into my daily schedule which I plan to change, and if I could start going to bed at least an hour earlier that would be a great , because I am so tired of being tired during the day, and I try and handle my stress by managing my time better, but lets be honest with ourselves, we can always do better at managing stress in our lives.
Besides talking about what all it is I need to improve and work on, the good things that I do implement a lot of in my life are eating healthy, avoiding tobacco products and drugs, consume alcohol in moderation, and I resolve conflict in a positive manner. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, nuts, meat, wheat, etc. I am addicted to apples, almonds, yogurt, salads, and grapes, so I don't find it hard to incorporate those foods into my meals. I used to smoke, I have been cigarette free for over two years now, and have never been happier, it was the best decision of my life. When I do drink, I try and drink in moderation, and I also try to not to make it a habit. Also, I am a very open person so when I am faced with conflict I talk about it in a calm manner, and try to resolve the issue as quickly as possible because I dislike lingering conflict.
Overall I am very glad that I took the self assessment practice in chapter 3 because it really helped focus and look over which behaviors I do well at, and which behaviors I need to improve in order to improve my health, and prevent disease.
-Brittany LeBron
Hi Brittany, It sounds like you are in good health but yes I do agree that you need to get back into the doctors office. I have cancer in my family so i understand the fear of going to the doctor and hearing bad news. the good part of it would be if you went regularly then you could find out your a healthy and doing well and continue on that path with the regular check-ups. I too quit smoking over two years ago and I am so glad for that. I got pregnant and quit the day I found out and never picked it up again, as for my husband I wish he would quit so much not just for his health but also for my families as well. Good luck in implementing these healthier habits into your routine. I too plan to change some things and I know life gets to hectic and so we tend to not exercise or not get enough sleep but in the end we are gonna run out of gas sooner or later so I guess its best if we try to stay ahead and take care of ourselves.
ReplyDeleteMelissa V.
Congrats Brittany on being tobacco free for two years now! That's awesome! I understand the whole, "acohol in moderation" thing because I am 21 and live in a college town. So when I go out, especially with friends, it is pretty hard to only stick to one. I also understand your fear of the doctor's office. I actually do not have health insurance so that is one reason why I don't go in as often as I probably should. I do get annual pap exams which are only about 5 dollars and free contraceptives, so that's nice. They take my blood pressure during the exam among other little tests so I guess that's better than nothing. I guess I feel like since I am young, nothing can be wrong with me and it will only be when I get older that something could be wrong. I should probably reevaluate that idea.
ReplyDeleteI know you said that it is difficult for you to find time to exercise in your daily schedule. I work at Curves for Women and it's actually only a 30 minute strength training and cardio circuit workout that you do 3 times a week. It's like getting an hour's worth workout in 30 minutes so maybe you could try it! Also, yoga is a great way to relieve stress and get in a good workout. Well, I hope you find ways to implement more towards your health and I'm sure you'll be very successful!
-Sarah Petersen
Hi Brittany,
ReplyDeleteYou are definitely on the right track. Getting your health routine into balance at a young age is SO important, so as you age, those habits are already there. Something I think is so essential is getting enough rest, which you mentioned. With so many choices available for social activities and opportunities to participate outside of work and school, it's easy to let rest and sleep go by the wayside. So glad to hear you put down the cigarettes - I smoked for about 10 years in my thirties but stopped almost 20 years ago and never wanted another one. I am so glad I did - I think smoking is one of the most harmful habits that people engage in today. Overall, I think the most important thing is to stop trying to keep up with everyone else and just do what we know is right for us - this reduces the stress levels. Good luck in making those changes you mentioned in your blog!