Thursday, September 2, 2010

Womens Health Concerns

Do you pick what health issues your worried about or does it pick you? That is the question that I have been spending the last half hour wondering about. Some health issues come into place due to the pure fact that you get diagnosed with certain illnesses or diseases, and some health concerns stem from fear of the unknown. I spoke to my sister and she enlightened me that her health concerns was her gluten allergy that she was diagnosed with less than a year ago. The proper name for it is "celiac disease". With this in mind, Lauren has to read all of the labels of the foods, sauces, etc. she digests in order to prevent herself form becoming severely sick. More than likely Lauren would never have been concerned with "celiac disease" if she wasn't diagnosed with it. She also informed me that another health issue that concerns her is being diagnosed with osteoporosis. Although she is only twenty-three, which just seems a little too young to be worrying about getting osteoporosis, this is a real concern to her. One that I hope she begins to take proper precautionary actions to.
However, In order to get a better idea to solve my stumbling question I asked my mother what her health concerns were and she enlightened me that hers were being over weight and having heart problems. Although my mother is only forty- five years old it seems to me too young to be worried about heart issues. I know that the element of getting older is a little unsettling but to my mother it concerns her, even though heart disease does not run in my family. The part of being over weight, who isn't a few pounds over their expected weight? I understand every woman wants to be thin, but to feel healthy and feel good about your self is what my mother's goal is which is to be expected and understood.
Although, both my sister, and my mother presented perfectly normal health issues both of their health concerns posed both a "it picked you" and a "fear" factor" which is why I compared it to my health concerns which are being diagnosed with breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Those two health concerns for me are based on the fact that breast cancer runs on my mom's side of the family, however, ovarian cancer does not, but ovarian cancer kills one woman too many every year, just as breast cancer does and that concerns me greatly because that affects my well being. With not only my concerns but the concerns of my sister's and my mom's I would say that collectively all of are health concerns are different from one another. None of are health concerns are any less or more important but perhaps they are just what we are faced with and/or are worried about which is why I just answered my own question.
The answer to my question is that women's health concerns are both stemmed from fear and from health issues we are diagnosed with. For example, no woman has to be diagnosed with breast cancer in order to be concerned with it, but the most important part is that all women even those including my sister and mother are concerned about different health concerns and are being proactive and honest with themselves that such diseases exist which is the most important thing and if women are not then they are only hurting themsevles.

-Brittany LeBron

No comments:

Post a Comment