It's difficult to decide what should and should not be discussed in public schools throughout the nation especially when so many people’s ideas and feelings on sex are different from one another. It is the parent’s job to discuss and provide information to their children but it’s difficult to decide what they want to teach their children and what they want their children’s school to teach their children. Every parent wants abstinence for their child but unfortunately we cannot make that decision for them. Culture diversity, morals, and religion play a huge factor on abstinence but teens will be teens and do what they want when it comes to the decision of having sex. Communities cannot stop premarital sex however; we can educate our children of the risks, dangers, and consequences of having sex. Teaching about only abstinence only accomplishes what the parents and society wants to accomplish and what they find to be morally acceptable but it does not identify the teen’s needs. Teens need to learn about STI’s, becoming pregnant, HIV/AIDS, etc. and how real these health risks and decisions really are as well as how they will impact their lives when they do decide to have sex. Society scorns young girls for becoming pregnant, but who else is to blame? Perhaps the parents and educators are to also blame for not providing adequate information to their child and student since they only provide information on abstinence only education. Every parent wants the best for their children but the best thing we can do for our children and our community is listen to them and give them proper education and advice. Unfortunately, not all children have families that they can turn to and learn about prevention and abstinence which is just another reason why public schools should incorporate sex education classes and provide resources for students to turn to when they need help or advice. Condoms should be handed out to every student, and to any additional student who asks for them upon request. We as society cannot keep our children from having sex but we can teach them about protecting themselves and their partners. I do not have children so I cannot say that I would feel differently if it was my own child, but if my child were to come to me and tell me that they wanted to or were having sex I can guarantee you that I would make sure that they were using condoms and other preventative contraceptives as well as being well aware of the consequences and health risks of having unprotected sex. We all have to realize that sex is a natural response and process among everyone; however when people and teens decide to have sex is each individuals own personal decision as well as when the time is right for them to have sex. Teens should be able to make that decision confidently without self doubt and scrutiny. With this in mind, we should make it are priority as a community and as families to implement healthy decisions when it results to teens having sex through school health education classes and family talks.
-Brittany LeBron
Fantastic blog Brittany! There isn't a thing you said that I didn't disagree with or could have said better myself! Like you, I am for sex education classes in the public school system. Why does sex have to remain so taboo in the school when everyone knows it's going on? It's just another subject like math and therefore needs to be taught. Parents supplement other teachings by helping when needed with homework assignments and they can also continue the teaching with sexual health. More importantly, begin the discussion, allow the teacher to teach the subject technically and in areas where the parents lack, and then parents follow up appropriately. It can be uncomfortable and sensitive to discuss but so is contracting an STD or pregnancy. I would pick the lesser of the 2 and gut it out with my child. It's important. As a mother, if I ever dropped the ball on this topic or something as unplanned as tragedy struck, than I really hope that something so vital for life could be taught by another responsible adult rather than leave it up to the media and teenage friends whose brains haven't reached full development yet. Thank you for putting your heart into this blog, I enjoyed reading~~Heather Noe
ReplyDeleteBrittany, I agree with sex education in public schools as well. I don't have children either so I definitly can't say that I know what it's like to talk to a child about sex or even what I would talk to them about. I think there's a lot of parents out there that are so scared of the mere thought that their child is having sex that they don't want to even bring it up. However, if anything, this is the worst possible thing. There are so many shows on MTV and celebrites today that are condoning casual sex, having multiple partners and proclaiming that it's okay. The show, "Jersey Shore," is a perfect example. Parents as well as educators need to implement in the child's mind that although sex is a very natural, healthy thing, only a few minutes can lead to lifechanging consequences.
ReplyDelete-Sarah Petersen
Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI am also believe that sex education should be taught in schools. We can use the schools, along with parents' help, to teach the facts about safe sex. The parents are the one who then should teach their morals about sex to their children. Not all children have parents who care or are even present. Those children do not hear sex education from anywhere and are going to make poor choices. I do not have children either and like you, I may feel differently once I do. But if my children are not comfortable talking to me about sex, I want them to get proper information from somewhere.