-Brittany LeBron
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Blog #9 What Are My Biggest Challenges to Regular Excercise and Healthy Eating That I Face? Also, How Are These Challenges Going To Change For Me Over The Next Five Years?
The biggest challenges that I face with regular exercise and healthy eating would have to be consistency and motivation. It is so easy for me to get out of my routine especially with working out. Like many women we take on many roles and time gets away from us so making sure that I not only make time for working out but also make sure that I actually do the workout is my biggest challenge. I tell myself all the time how I am going to wake up early and go to the gym, and work out or go outside for a walk, but that doesn't seem to happen till the late afternoon or evening. I know that working out is better than not working out but I would like to stay more consistent on the times and days that I work out. I know for me that it will help me manage my schedule instead of me fitting it into my schedule. I must say that I have been way more disciplined now about working out than I have been. I now have been able to maintain a regular work out regimen for the past four weeks, and this week is the beginning of my fifth week which I am in amazement that I have been able to stick to my work out regimen for this long. This is a great accomplishment for me and one that I will continue to work on. However, maintaining a healthy diet has always been easy for me because at an early age my mother instilled eating healthy in both my sister and myself. My mother is definitely health conscientious, which is large part from the influence of my grandparents who are much disciplined in eating healthy. It is hard at times when I am around my boyfriend to not snack or eat sweets because he has quite a sweet tooth and enjoys sharing his treats with me. This does make it hard for me to say no to him at times because I want to indulge too but I soon know I will reap the results from my unhealthy eating. So as a way to avoid temptations I try to do all of the grocery shopping if not most of the grocery shopping. I also eat a yogurt and an apple every morning for breakfast, I always make my lunch with at least one fruit and one vegetable, and I try to make dinner as much as I can so that I can regulate what I eat rather than giving into eating out. When my boyfriend and I do go out we try to stick to eating at places that have good nutritional choices such as Jason’s Deli, Corner Bakery, etc. When I make my own meals it makes it a lot easier for me to control what I eat which makes it very easy for me to stick to healthy eating. Now that I understand and can identify the challenges that I face with maintaining regular exercise and maintaining a healthy diet, I hope to grow on these changes and use them in helping me stay more consistent in the next five years and so on. I see myself in the next five years staying fit and being a lot healthier. If I can continue these new behavior changes now and instill them for the next five years then I know I can instill these changes for the many years to come as I age and get older. Five years seems like a long time away but I know in reality it is just around the corner. I know in the next five years that all of my hard work now and in the future will pay off into some great rewards not just me looking and feeling fit, but also emotionally. Of course the most important thing is that I reduce my risk of disease, and cancer, and add quality to my life.
-Brittany LeBron
-Brittany LeBron
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate to the challenge of motivation and consistency with exercise. I have been working out for a really long time and I go through burn out. When that happens, I get out of that routine and I don't even think about motivation. I just need a break. Inevitably, I feel the mental, emotional, and physical effects of my break and use that as my motivation to get back to it. Since that is cyclical for me, my biggest challenge is quickly becoming time. Between work, school, 2 little kiddos, etc. time for a decent, worthy workout (for my standard) has become an issue. When I know I can't get to the gym, I try to challenge myself during the day by making sure I eat well and get my water in. Physically, I also take the stairs over an elevator, stand on one foot sometimes, do calf raises when I am in one spot for a minute, stretch, and walk around with pulled in abs. Consciously recruiting those muscles throughout the day promotes a flat tummy, good spinal support and posture as well as core strengthening by muscle contraction. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't! Maybe some of my tidbits can help you out on the days when you can't get there either...every little bit helps for me! Great post~Heather Noe
Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your post. I found myself a little jealous of your eating habits! Growing up my family did not eat healthy. I grew up in the deep south and we ate things like rice and gravy and fried foods and everything the experts say stay away from! It is hard for me to make good food choices and exercise regularly. It is much easier to just grab something from a drive through rather than cook after a long day at work. I have been eating healthier for the last 3 weeks though and I feel much better. I am buying quality food at the grocery store and like you eating subway rather than a burger place. It is amazing how you begin to actually crave good food like fruit rather than ice cream when you really start making better choices. The exercise is coming along but right now I only have time 2 times a week. I wish it was more but at least it is twice more than I was doing a few weeks ago! Small steps what I keep telling myself. It is hard to completely change your routine when you are as stubborn and stuck in your ways as me!