I have enjoyed each topic discussed in this course because they have all shared insight and light on the many topics and issues that women face. But I would have to say that the topic discussed in this class that has had the most impact on my life would have to be the info discussed in chapter 9, which discusses nutrition, exercise, and weight management. All three of these issues have a great impact on women including myself. Body image, weight, and staying fit are all three issues that I can relate to on a very personal level. This chapter has shared some great information on how to turn those negatives in my life and make them into positives. After reading on this chapter I have learned which foods to stay away from and which foods I should eat more of, tips on working out and which types of exercise that I should incorporate into my weekly work out regimen, ways to help reduce my risk of weight gain, and how to lose weight. Since reading this chapter one of the new positive behaviors that I have incorporated in order to eat healthier is make a grocery list, and write down what I eat, and so far I have been able to limit my salt intake, reduce the amount of sugary drinks I have a week, and I eat out less often. I also try and eat more vegetables with lunch and dinner. I already eat plenty of fruit because I love fruit! Even though during the semester I began working out more regularly, I found out how important stretching, warming up, and cooling down is in a work out. Now I warm up by walking or jogging for about 5 minutes, then stretch, then exercise for 45 minutes, and use the last five to ten minutes of my workout to cool down before I stretch again afterwards. Lately, walking, jogging, and the elliptical machine have been my best friends. I do however need to incorporate some strength training into my work out so that I can develop more tone and definition. Lastly, I have been able to manage my weight through proper diet, and exercise. Since then my confidence in myself has gone way up, and I feel great which is more than I could ever ask for. Overall, I have been inspired and personally impacted from this particular chapter. There is no excuse from me to not be able to maintain adequate health, as well as maintain these changes. I am very fortunate to be able to have access to this information.
-Brittany LeBron
Brittany,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post very much. I would like to congratulate you for starting a healthy happy life. I wish that everyone can take the benefit and teachings of chapter 9 and incorporate in their daily life as you have done. I think if people stop stressing about their body image and live a happy healthy life they will have more self-confidence. I wish you all the best in your future, and hope that you continue to live healthy lifestyle.
Subuk Usmani
Brittany,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post, it was awesome! Can I point out that you are a beautiful girl in your profile pic and just by looking at it I would have never guessed that the info in Chapter 9 was something you struggled with! I am happy to hear you publicly talk about your struggles and how you have been able to make some great lifestyle changes and that they are working out for you. I don't know about you but this was my first semester back to school after being out for 6 years. The juggling act of college and life is tough and working out and eating right are fantastic lifestyle musts that help maintain sanity and decrease stress...along with all the other wonderful benefits you know about! Congrats to you, and I enjoyed being your classmate here and I think in another class or 2 as well! Good luck to you and keep it up!!~Heather
Brittany-
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed that chapter myself. It was interesting to see the areas in my diet I was lacking. I knew I was not exercising enough, but the eating I overestimated how well I was doing. Every chapter we have covered has been useful. I find myself having conversations with my friends and saying, "I learned in my class..." I have learned so much!
Kerri